Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good news and Bad news

How good is good and how bad is bad?

Here is some good news and bad news since the beginning of this year:

Bad: A shooting in the neighborhood
Good: It wasn't me, and it has awakened the grad students to work with the univ admin to bring about some changes (let's install more lights, let's run more buses)
Good: It made us all introspect and be grateful and connect to each other in ways we never had before.

Bad: Some armed robberies
Good: It wasn't me, and we are having school mixers to let people know their neighbours (no you don't need to report that person as a suspicous individual hanging around the complex at night, because it turns out he is your next door neighbor you is studying starlight or something)

Bad: A paper submission got rejected. All three reviewers thought it was unworthy of the journal (How dare you?!!!)
Good: If they had accepted, then I would have had a bloated ego, and hey they say we can still submit to a "lesser" journal. Now that counts for Something.

Bad: I caught a bad cold and cough.
Good: 4 friends came to check on me over the weekend, and kept me supplied with hot beverages and curries to clear my congestion. I felt like a spoilt princess.

Bad: Looks like I am going to miss another conference submission deadline.
Good: I am working really very hard (or so I think)

Bad: I gained weight.
Good: I could have gained more Bad: I Gained Weight!
Good: Ummm...Maybe I'll exercise now Bad: I GAINED WEIGHT! :-(

3 comments:

test said...

all i can do from here(or so i think!) {hugs} and more {hugs}
hope you feel better soon..
and keep safe.
M

Chhaya said...

Very interesting perspectives ! Be careful though and keep safe :)
(By the way, I dont think the last news is that bad after all...you can stand gaining a few pounds ! )

Vikas Yadav said...

its so funny, i really like this way of putting things in perspective.
But gaining wt in lbs beyond (3*HT_in-75) is not ok :)
HT_in > 5ft. for male, formula s different.