Saturday, December 01, 2007

Watering it down

What is it that Americans lack that Indians have?
That's easy...
Germs? Malaria? Poverty? Population? Dirt? No toilet paper? Cheap labor? Beggars? Cold cold....You are thinking too Third World, but think more of one of the items I just listed.
"A sense of culture (whatever that means)"? Fakirs? Snake charmers Learn Geeta in 21 Days. "It's a way of life, you dummy, It is NOT a religion"!! Naah.
Arranged marriages? Saris? Still cold.
Aha, the Taj Mahaal! Nope, Think everyday life.
Traffic? Mumbai locals? Autorickshaws? No.
Curries? Chillies? Chapatis? Spices? Chai (Real Tea)? Lauki? Oh well.

What Americans do not have is the humble red/green/blue/white/black/grey/transparent plastic bath mug.

Yesterday, I spent approximately 45 minutes on, what else, Google, and I could not find a single American store which understands the term water mug, plastic bath mug, bathing mug, plastic bath cup which translates into a plastic container with a handle, and sometimes a beak that is used with a bucket for bathing. Why did I spend a perfectly lovely Friday evening searching for this on the net? Well, all I was trying to do was submit a water saving tip to our university's water conservation website in the wake of the drought we have here in North Carolina. All I wanted to inform them is that bathing with a bucket and mug allows me to use less than 5 gallons of water per bath, and since I wanted to make it useful, I also wanted to add links to where you can buy a bucket and mug. Eventually I gave up, and just sent them a link on "How to take a Bath in half a bucket of water" (The instructions are such that I almost fell of my chair laughing...I didn't know it was such a complex task). And to top it all, I found another website, by an Australian who came up with the oh so original idea of bucket bathing, that he was featured on Australian National TV, no less.
It seems to me that in-1492-when-Columbus-crossed-the-ocean-blue, he landed in the new world with a bath tub and a shower head, and taught all the barbarious, pagan Indians that taking a bath should either feel like sitting in a swimming pool or standing out in the rain.

As for me, I have my own big white-with-grey-specks plastic bathing mug imported right from the shops of Shaniwar Peth, Pune, India, hand-delivered lovingly to me by my mother, along with the dried curry leaves and special home-ground bhaji masala.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I know about and Love hot showers and bath tubs. But I also know what it takes to have only one community municipal tap which has water coming out for one hour at any time from midnight to 5.00 am, with the holler by a neighbour "Paani aala!! (Water has come!!)". Out come the buckets and storage drums and miscellaneous utensils, for bathing water,water for the plants and drinking water respectively. We learnt to respect water.

So when my county here in the US has only 59 days store of water left, I know what to do, thank you very much.

3 comments:

test said...

wow that link was informative :)
haha!!!
actually had a similar conversation with a family friend regarding mugs- she said you get them at ikea. but thats still european i guess :)
everything here goes backwards me thinks. T went to a renewable energy "show" and one of the stalls had ideas to conserve energy -turn lights off.. DUH!
I'll pray for rain.

Chhaya said...

I know exactly how you must have felt after the 45 minutes of fruitless searching ! I have been trying to do the same here and havent been able to find anything !
I guess simple things like a proper bucket and a mug are too much to ask for. (dont feel too bad...I have two of the big splotchy imported mugs in bright neon colours :D :D )

BACKSPACE said...

Hehe..I had the same problem when my in laws were down and we had the sales associates say 'oh...I think I know what you want' and show us coffee mugs..
I finally found something very close to it..in the kitchen aisle :-) I just picked up a set of plastic measuring 'cups' They were a bit expensive compared to the humble Rs 10 mug you get back home...but I guess its like those mastercard ads when your in laws can finally get a mug of water and not deal with a roll of toilet paper :-))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measuring_cup