Saturday, July 08, 2006

Just In Time

Two days ago, I redefined the concept of Just in Time. We submitted a prospective paper online about a minute before the deadline. Do not ask me how it came about to be so. It was about the baby I did not know much about (but my colleagues at the other university did). This race to the finish was a result of an overlooked mailing, an unreceived email, different time zones, miscommunication, very tight schedules, politics, strategy and a lot of, and I mean a lot of last-minute head-scratching. My pulse rate was double even 15 minutes after I finished the submission.

Unfortunately, the very fact that we got it submitted does not mean that I am happy and everything is hunky-dory. As always, anything last minute means that there is compromise on quality. And since I was the last person in the chain before the paper got in, the buck stops with me. Oh well, if the paper gets accepted then all is fine, if not, then I really hope I do not make the big mistake, of being reactive, of getting defensive and passingon the blame. On the other hand, maybe even before we get a decision, I could just go ahead and pre-empt the situation by giving all the reasons why it may not go through. Something to think about, eh?